Celebrating 10 years in Belize
We wanted to go somewhere special for our 10 year anniversary! So, after Dennis handed the task back to me, I started searching for somewhere warm and tropical. I found another deal on travelzoo - it was 4 nights total, 2 at Belize Ocean Club and 2 on a 2 acre island named Ranguana Caye. Dennis thought this was a good option for our anniversary but wanted to know if we could extend the trip. I read that we could double the trip - or book 6 nights 2 at BOC and 4 on the island. Dennis wanted to extend even more - so we ended up booking 12 nights!
We flew in on a Saturday, and one of our friends named Pastor picked us up from the airport and took us to his home, with a stop at the Belize Zoo. We had a wonderful evening with Pastor, his parents, and lots of nieces and nephews. We were sad that we couldn't communicate with all of them, as they all speak Spanish and Pastor was the only one to speak English and Spanish. We got to bed around 11 that evening and were so tired. I saw a bug on the bed and told Dennis that there was a cricket on the bed. I thought it was a cricket because I was hearing crickets outside. Dennis calmly told me to close my suitcase and started looking for the bug. Turns out, it was a cockroach which walked on Dennis in the night. I was out - so if the nasty bug walked on me - I wasn't aware!
We had a very nice Sunday morning meeting with the 5 of us. Pastor interreputed our meeting, which was so special. We then stayed for lunch and Pastor, with 4 of his nieces and nephews drove us to Placencia - so he ended up driving 6 hours or more that weekend for us.
Our night at Belize Ocean Club. Walking onto the grounds of Belize Ocean Club, made me feel like a princess. The resort is so nice and I was in awe of the view from our room of the ocean. There were small palm trees - and it was just beautiful.
The next morning, we ate breakfast, which was incredible and then got on a bus which took us to Placencia Village, then on a boat which took us to Ranguana Caye. The boat ride was about 45 minutes long. Getting off the boat and onto Ranguana Caye was amazing - talk about a tropical island! We got into our cabana and just started looking around. There were about 20 other people on the boat with us that day. We went snorkeling twice that day and saw all sorts of fun fish. Then it was time for everyone else to leave, and Dennis, I and another couple Daryl and Nancy from Canada stayed on the island. They stayed for 4 nights, we ended up staying for 10! We got to know the staff on the island really well and still keep in touch with some of them. I mastered stand up paddle boarding, we kayaked, snorkeled, swam in the ocean, drank smoothies every day - and ate really wonderful fresh seafood. It really was a dream vacation - and one that I don't think we will ever be able to top.
While on the island, I thought - this is it! We have found our spot, the spot we will come year after year. I was telling the staff that we would return again the next year to celebrate our 11th anniversary.
By the time we got off the island, we had 2 nights left. We walked around Placencia Village for a couple of hours - and it was so much more humid on the mainland than on the island. Our 2nd to last was spent at Belize Ocean Club, where we enjoyed another wonderful breakfast. Then, we took a small airplane up to Belize City where we spent our last night at Best Western and had a very early bus ride into the airport to head home.
I did not want to come back home again - our trip was just too wonderful - and I wanted to stay in Belize! I thought we could send our cats down there and we could rent our house out furnished and figure out how to make a living in Belize. But - Dennis - the sensible one said no and so we got on the airplane to head back home.
We flew in on a Saturday, and one of our friends named Pastor picked us up from the airport and took us to his home, with a stop at the Belize Zoo. We had a wonderful evening with Pastor, his parents, and lots of nieces and nephews. We were sad that we couldn't communicate with all of them, as they all speak Spanish and Pastor was the only one to speak English and Spanish. We got to bed around 11 that evening and were so tired. I saw a bug on the bed and told Dennis that there was a cricket on the bed. I thought it was a cricket because I was hearing crickets outside. Dennis calmly told me to close my suitcase and started looking for the bug. Turns out, it was a cockroach which walked on Dennis in the night. I was out - so if the nasty bug walked on me - I wasn't aware!
We had a very nice Sunday morning meeting with the 5 of us. Pastor interreputed our meeting, which was so special. We then stayed for lunch and Pastor, with 4 of his nieces and nephews drove us to Placencia - so he ended up driving 6 hours or more that weekend for us.
Our night at Belize Ocean Club. Walking onto the grounds of Belize Ocean Club, made me feel like a princess. The resort is so nice and I was in awe of the view from our room of the ocean. There were small palm trees - and it was just beautiful.
The next morning, we ate breakfast, which was incredible and then got on a bus which took us to Placencia Village, then on a boat which took us to Ranguana Caye. The boat ride was about 45 minutes long. Getting off the boat and onto Ranguana Caye was amazing - talk about a tropical island! We got into our cabana and just started looking around. There were about 20 other people on the boat with us that day. We went snorkeling twice that day and saw all sorts of fun fish. Then it was time for everyone else to leave, and Dennis, I and another couple Daryl and Nancy from Canada stayed on the island. They stayed for 4 nights, we ended up staying for 10! We got to know the staff on the island really well and still keep in touch with some of them. I mastered stand up paddle boarding, we kayaked, snorkeled, swam in the ocean, drank smoothies every day - and ate really wonderful fresh seafood. It really was a dream vacation - and one that I don't think we will ever be able to top.
While on the island, I thought - this is it! We have found our spot, the spot we will come year after year. I was telling the staff that we would return again the next year to celebrate our 11th anniversary.
By the time we got off the island, we had 2 nights left. We walked around Placencia Village for a couple of hours - and it was so much more humid on the mainland than on the island. Our 2nd to last was spent at Belize Ocean Club, where we enjoyed another wonderful breakfast. Then, we took a small airplane up to Belize City where we spent our last night at Best Western and had a very early bus ride into the airport to head home.
I did not want to come back home again - our trip was just too wonderful - and I wanted to stay in Belize! I thought we could send our cats down there and we could rent our house out furnished and figure out how to make a living in Belize. But - Dennis - the sensible one said no and so we got on the airplane to head back home.
Comments
Post a Comment