Our story - Our wedding
Our wedding was one of the best days of my life. That day, and the days following, I realized that it wasn't the wedding that needed to be the focal point of our marriage, but rather living our lives together as husband and wife.
It's funny - from a child - the one thing that I wanted for our wedding, actually was almost adamant about was having a summer wedding. Well - our wedding date was February 24, 2007. I really wanted out door pictures in the sunshine. I was really hoping that there would be sunshine on our wedding day ... so much so that between 2:30-5:30 am, I got out of bed several times to look out the window at the pouring down rain!
I didn't sleep much the night before our wedding. I took a bath in the hotel room and when I looked at my hair - it looked greasy to me. So, I took the time to wash my hair, which meant that I needed to hair dry it also to put it into curlers. I was up until after 2 am trying to make myself ready for my wedding day. Then, I woke up at 5:30 and could not go back to sleep. I remember that Dennis made me coffee that morning - he actually doubled the hotel coffee so it was really strong. That was a really good thing!
We planned on having pictures before our wedding but planned a secret first look with our photographer there. It was such a special moment for us. Another thing that I really wanted was to wear our wedding rings in our wedding photos and I am so thankful that Dennis's dad remembered that detail.
A good childhood friend of mine stood up with me and Dennis's uncle stood up with him. I had 2 of younger cousins as the ring bearer and flower girl. My brothers walked my mom up the aisle and Dennis walked his mom up with his dad following behind. In hindsight, I would have had his dad walk right beside Dennis too. Our colors were lavender and white - I held a bouquet of lavender tulips and my friend held white tulips.
There were about 130 people present at our wedding, mostly family and a few close friends. Our ceremony was longer than I thought it would be, but perfect for us. One of my close friends who was in the ministry prayed at our wedding and another family friend minister of ours spoke there. "When You Say You Love Me" by Josh Groban was sung by another friend and also "A Moment Like This"
The reception immediately followed the wedding - and we had a receiving line. It was neat to say a special hello to everyone who came through the line. One amazing moment was when our videographer was behind us and captured a very good family friend say to me "I wish Anna were here on this special day." Anna was his wife, who had passed away from cancer several years earlier. Anna was one of the best friends that I ever had - she passed away when I was 12.
We had an open mic and it was fun hearing what our friends and family had to say about us.
We served coffee, punch, cake, nuts in tins on the tables ...
It was an amazing day - one that we are so thankful to have pictures and an amazing video from. It was a good start to our marriage!
Comments
Post a Comment