Our story - Honeymoon

Dennis and I booked a Southern Caribbean Cruise for our honeymoon. It was a very magical vacation for both of us. 

There are some things that happened at the beginning of our journey, that now looking back, are quite funny. 

We got to our hotel, after our wedding, still in our wedding clothes and I gave our name to the employee behind the desk. She could not find our reservation and because I had booked the room through Expedia.com, I had to call Expedia to work out the details. So, picture this - a couple still in their wedding clothes, with their bags on the floor all around them and the bride on the phone at the check in desk. It turns out, I had used my maiden name for the reservation and not our married name. So, once that was settled, we were then told that all the rooms of the type that we booked were sold out. We ended up getting the type of room we booked (with a tub in the room) and had a nice evening. 

We ordered pizza and it took forever to get to our room. And also, we forgot something at the hotel from the previous night (I think - this was over 11 years ago haha) and my dad brought it to us and our dads took our car back to our apartment. 

The next morning, when we arrived at the airport - there was a huge line at the American Airlines ticket counter. A lady was waving some paper and yelling "if you live in the Portland area, you should go back home and come back tomorrow. All American flights are cancelled. If you are not from Portland, here is a list of hotels in the area." By the time we finally reached the counter, a very visibly exhausted ticket agent told us those same words. I said, "look, we got married yesterday and we need to make it to Florida for our cruise." She booked us on a Delta flight that left 4 hours after our original flight. We were excited to be able to be on our way to Florida. The Delta flights were amazing and I surprised Dennis with the pilot announcing our recent marriage over the intercom of the airplane. 

Once we arrived into Ft. Lauderdale at 1 am - the ticket counter for our rental car was closed so we had to use another company. We had a 3.5 hour drive ahead of us up to Orlando. We both drove some and when we arrived at our hotel in Orlando, we stumbled into the lobby and gave the person behind the counter our name. He could not find our name and asked if we were sure this was our hotel. I finally said "Look, we got married something like 36 hours ago and we just need a bed." He replied "oh, you're checking in - I thought you were checking out! So, we got a room and slept from 6-10 am. At 10, I woke up super excited to #1 be married #2 to be in Florida and #3 to be on our honeymoon. Poor Dennis ... he could have slept a lot more. 

We didn't really do much that day, went to breakfast and a medieval dinner show. The next day, we went to Magic Kingdom and had a blast. The next morning, we were in the car at 5:30 am, driving back to Ft. Lauderdale where our cruise was leaving from. 

We then had an 8 day cruise with 4 days at sea and we had the best time! We ate so much wonderful food, slept a lot and went on some fun excursions! It was really a nice start to our marriage., even with all of the slight bumps in the road at the beginning! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our story - The Engagement

Updating our house

Fertility treatment discussions / adoption discussions