Our story - dating
It seems that our time dating before being engaged was very short ... and it was. We dated for about 4 1/2 months before Dennis proposed to me. So, there probably isn't a lot of stories or things to tell during this time (and since this was over 12 years ago, my memory is a bit fuzzy). :)
I do remember the first time that I took Dennis to my parents house for the weekend for them to meet him. He went to bed and as soon as he was out of the room, with a huge smile on my face, I turned to my mom and asked "so, what do you think?" She said something to the affect of "well, I think it's nice that you're here ... " avoiding the question! HA! She eventually did tell me that she thought he was a nice young man. And, she could tell that I was really happy.
I also remember meeting Dennis' parents for the first time. We drove the 8ish hours to their house - and I think that I sat in the back of the pickup, watching a movie while Dennis drove with headphones on too so he could at least listen to the movie. I brought gifts for his parents and his mom also gave one to me. She handed me a box and said "I have a story to tell you about this gift. When I became engaged to Dennis' dad, his mother handed me a box and inside was a teacup. She said that was a tradition in welcoming women into the family. So, I want to welcome you to the family." WOW! This was the first time that I had met his parents and I was already being welcomed to the family!
We talked quite a bit about getting married and I had just started going back to school. I was going to get a degree in elementary school teaching. I do remember Dennis saying "If we get married, and I put you through school which takes 4 years, and we have kids in 4 years and you are a stay at home mom - then what was the reason for you going to school?" Oh how naive we were - but of course we didn't realize that at the time!
One of our biggest arguments was about children. Dennis said that he didn't want any and I had always wanted 4! We decided to keep on dating and not break up - but I asked Dennis to promise me that he would consider having children.
He would drive up to SW Washington where I lived and I would drive to Portland several times a week to be together in the evenings. We would fix dinner and then hang out together and when at his apartment, his roommate and cousin was often there too.
Like I said earlier, it seems the details of this time are a bit fuzzy - we were in the phase of getting to know each other better and were enjoying each others company a lot!
To be continued ... The engagement story
Comments
Post a Comment